Wednesday, June 23, 2010

True Love

My friend Scott told me I need to stop being a "whinger" (the Australian term for a whine-y brat I believe). So I'll stop the complaints, stop blaming my sourness upon the weather and talk about something that is and has been making me very happy. I dare say it's even love.

Of course, I'm talking about the Amazon Kindle. I don't have one (yet!) but Kristina has so generously let me borrow hers to read a couple books that she has. At first I was admittedly skeptical. As a girl who loves to read there's something so satisfying about sitting down with a book and turning a page. I was also skeptical of reading on a screen. In college I could never read my articles on the computer, they always had to be printed out (this probably also has something to do with my over-affinity to highlight) so I didn't know how I'd feel about reading an entire book on a screen.

Well folks, I was wrong. The Kindle is awesome. It doesn't hurt your eyes, it's light and compact--I don't want to jump the gun but I think the Kindle and I have a very bright and long future ahead of us. And when it's fully charged it lasts for 14 days! Amazing.

I'll never turn my back completely on books though. Despite all the wonderful characteristics of the Kindle there are some things a book just does better. I was trying to relay a funny story (about Australia as I am reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country" which, by the way, is awesome) to Scott the other day and needed the details from a page at the start of the book. Instead of flipping through I had to click, scan and click some more to get to the story. It works, but just not with the same amount of ease.

Still the Kindle is pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment