Thursday, April 8, 2010

Replaced

Sorry for the delayed updates on Spain/Portugal--I swear they are coming. With pictures! Boy & Girl are still on spring break so I haven't had the time to get it all together, soon though!

I've been replaced (starting in August).

The Family has made an offer to their next au pair! I know it will be weird when I finally do leave The Family, not seeing people you've seen almost every day for a year might be a little odd at first, but I'm sure we'll all survive. That being said I'm happy that they've found some one new. Like with me, The Family offered up previous au pairs as references to give a little insight into the job/living with The Family/Boy & Girl/et cetera. Maybe I was just naïve or maybe just dumb but they way these girls made it sound it sounded like I was coming into the "dream job." (I had talked with a bunch of au pairs who had received similar stories from their previous au pairs--I think maybe au pairs are worried that if they don't say only fabulous, fun, kind things they might scare away the next au pair and thus never have a replacement and their family will make them stay with them forever...) As I found out, it isn't exactly the case, so I wanted to be a little more honest and open with NAP, just to paint a clearer picture. Since I've been thinking about this e-mail for about six months (daydreaming/thinking, same thing, right?) I was pretty excited to lay it all out. I told my mom I was going to be more honest and forward and she worried that I was going to do some karma-rearing, 10 months of frustration, expletive e-mail detailing every bad moment (and there were some days when that is what I wanted to write) but here's how it actually came out:

Hi NAP,

Sorry for the delayed response! I think maybe the best order to answer your questions is in reverse (and I tend to drone on so feel free to skim!)

-I'm originally from Washington, D.C. but my parents moved to Minnesota when I was in high school. I went to college in Ohio and after graduation last May I moved here. I studied abroad during my junior year of college and really loved my experience living in Europe which is why I became an au pair.

-Overall my experience as an au pair has been positive but it's not always wonderful. I guess what I wish I had known before is that it won't always be loads of fun, however I can assure you it is a worthwhile experience. I will tell you that it is really difficult to live with your employer, but The Family is a great family to work for/live with. The living situation kind of sucks (not having your own bathroom) but it is better to have a great family and a not-so-great room than the other way around. It is hard to live with a family that isn't your own, but they really try to make you feel at home and comfortable. The kids are typically good, but can be really frustrating at times. After talking to the previous au pairs we realized that we all came in thinking we would be living with the "dream kids," but kids are kids and sometimes they can have attitudes/bad days et cetera. I'm not trying to scare you, I just wish I had had a little more realistic viewpoint coming in! I'm not sure how the job will change with the new baby on its way, but compared with a lot of my au pair friends, I work the least (which is nice!). All in all though, The Family is a good family to work for.

-Switzerland is a great place to live, it is incredibly safe, clean and gorgeous. (It is, however, a very expensive country. Expect to pay 2-3 times more for something, coffee cocktail et cetera, than you would in the States/Canada.) Traveling is really easy from such a centrally located country and The Family encourages you to travel and will try to accommodate you as best they can. You get a bunch of holiday time with the job--one of the best parts of being an au pair.

-Zürich is a fabulous place to be an au pair because it is a really international community so there are tons of ex-pats around to do stuff with (which could be a bad thing if you want a more European experience) and a lot of au pairs. You can get involved in sports here easily as well--if you're interested. There is a meeting every Wednesday morning where a bunch of au pairs meet and I've made some wonderful friends there to travel and/or go out with. Making friends here was a big concern of mine before I came but it has all worked out really well.

If you have any more questions at all, please feel free to e-mail me! Last year The Family's au pair called me before I came to answer any lingering questions, so if you want I'd be happy to talk to you. I leave Saturday for Spain/Portugal for ten days (like I said, the holiday time is wonderful!) so let me know if you'd like to chat and we can arrange a time.

Take care!
jill

When it finally came down to it, I couldn't just let it all out. I will still be around Switzerland when she comes so maybe I'll take her out for a drink, tell her that when the day comes, she's more than welcome to send me an e-mail complaining about they job. I'll be all ears.

1 comment:

  1. As an aupair who was only slightly before your time (I left last July..) I feel your pain about what to tell your replacement.

    I often feel extreme guilt (for lack of a better word) when thinking about my chats with the aupair who is looking after the kids I looked after last year. I tried not to be too negative..because I honestly enjoyed the experience..but I definitely didn't want to give off the impression that is was all happy happy, joy joy. On most days towards the end of my contract...I was convinced that I was going to tell the next aupair what was REALLY like, that I was going to tell off the agency I went through and tell the HM to shove it when I left.

    But that didn't happen.

    She caught me on a good day..when the sun was shining in Zurich and the HM had just paid me, when I was back from a glorious weekend off and had a random free night off to go lie by the Zurisee and have a picnic with some fabulous friends.

    I had my rose coloured glasses on...and even though I said similar things to her..that it wasn't always easy..that there are hard days, that the kids can have major attitude, etc. etc. I don't know if that can ever really justify the meaning behind that...because unless you're THERE..unless you're IN that situation..no matter what you write or say or do...I don't know if you can never fully convey how high the highs are and how low the lows can be..

    I'm also kind of bummed because as much as I love the kids I had last year..I know that they're probably some of the worst kids in Zurich..and I know that they're probably giving my replacement a run for her money..and that she probably curses me on a regular basis..and wish that I could be more of a help and be there for her..but fear that she thinks I was some kind of saint for putting up with the BS - when if you look at my blog from my year in Switzerland...i was clearly anything but..haha!

    ReplyDelete