Saturday, April 24, 2010

A New Perspective

This weekend one of my friends, the one who lives in Milan, is visiting.

And you are probably wondering, why then, with a friend visiting, I am writing in my blog. Well, my dear readers, it is because I am an au pair.

The Family asked me to babysit (asked/told, the same thing in au pair-land) on Saturday night and I informed them that I had a friend coming so they asked the neighbor who was busy. I guess it is nice that they tried but, when that didn't work my plans were decided for me.

Anyway, having a non au pair friend here its made me realize just how weird au pairing is. It has become second nature to me here but to view it from an outsider's point of view I realized just how odd it is. This, for all intents and purposes, is my home. But like I've written before, a house does not a home make. Asking permission to have a friend over, feeling awkward when you wake up because you don't want to go upstairs to use the bathroom or even shower to avoid seeing them (especially after a night out) things that, if I had an apartment, would be a non-issue. Realizing it again has just highlighted how, despite having lived here since July, this isn't really my home. I've certainly gotten used to it, and even when I return from trips I feel like I am "home," but I am looking forward to the days when I have a place to call my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment