Thursday, March 18, 2010

Just Beachy

A year ago I was on spring break with some of my best friends in the whole world. As I was reminiscing yesterday (on St. Patty's Day of course) I couldn't help but think, "Last year during this week is when I accepted The Family's offer to become their au pair."/"Last year I was on a BEACH with my best friends." (When in reality I spent most of the time at the beach on St. Patty's Day in the ocean because the sand was littered with bottle caps trying to slice my feet, holding my beer above the waves as I swam.) I had no idea what I was getting myself into and some days I cannot believe I am doing this (think picking up your flosser out of a pee-filled toilet with a plastic bag over your hand... By the way, thanks for that college education dad!) but in the end, I'm glad I did.

I've become calmer about my disdain for au pairing and I really think it has to do with time. (And you all thought I was going to say my attitude, didn't you?!) Now that I have less time in front of me than behind me I can more fondly remember the funny things Girl and Boy have done, rather than the time(s) that Boy slapped me (that was fun) or cried because I unjinxed Girl first (still happening, and no, I'm not kidding) or woke up at 6:45 am the morning after St. Patrick's Day awaiting their breakfast... Okay so some of them are still fresh, but in the end, I'm sure I will be glad that I survived! and/or finished out the year.

Plus, I just have to keep reminding myself that this time in two weeks, I'll be back on a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment