Monday, February 8, 2010

Happy Birthday to You!

From reading this blog one might infer that I really, really like text messaging. I can't help it, it's too easy to be in contact with so many people at once (or it was when I had unlimited text messaging, and parents who paid my cell phone bill--those were the days!). In college I even wrote a paper on the use of technology in communication (god bless you liberal arts education) and found that, contrary to what I thought, younger people think that sending a SMS (short message service, i.e. text) makes them closer. Who knew?

So obviously on the Swiss morning of February 8th I knew what I had to do, send a happy birthday text message to my father! What better way to wish him well while simultaneously reminding him how lucky he is that he no longer has to pay the phone bill of a daughter (who may or may not be developing arthritis in my thumbs from too much texting) than through a text message?

But the best part of it is he wrote back! So Happy Birthday Dad! And thanks for texting back--it made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment