Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Friends in Low Places

I have been so fortunate in my life to have made some wonderful friends. I am lucky because I always seem to be in the right place at the right time (like how I met Allison at a bus stop) to make friends. Or have some wonderfully random connection (or how I went to dinner with Jana's friend Luke who turned out to be some one I met the summer before when we both worked at camp). I am seriously lucky. One thing I haven't really addressed are the significant others of my friends.

As we are getting older (ah!) I realize that some of my friends' girlfriends and boyfriends might be there for keeps. So what is really, really important is that I like them. (And I guess that they like me). My friends are as close as family so it is important for me that they have good significant others. So far pretty much all of my best friends have picked good guys (except for this one that one dated... The only thing he ever brought to the table was a play-by-play of how to manually kill a goose... Definitely not a keeper). My brother has had his highs and lows (you know who I'm talking about...) but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a great one. Since I don't have a sister it might be my only shot!

What brought this about was thinking about one of my mother's nearest and dearest. My Aunt Leila (Leila Leila)--not my aunt but oftentimes better than one!--is fabulous, loving, funny and all around wonderful. And her husband (Hi Unkie Howie!) is equally great. I mean do you know a guy that let his wife's best friend's daughter call him Unkie Howie? (Note: I met him when I was a pre-teen and he still let me call him that!)

And to top it off he even willingly reads my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment