Monday, December 28, 2009

Absence

People always quote the old saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree.

From my experience it should really be, "Absence makes the heart forget all of the annoying things they did to make you want to be separated from them in the first place." But I suppose that doesn't sound as nice...

While I've been home the opposite of the old adage has rang true, "Absence makes me realize how much I hate being an au pair."

Yeah, I said it. I hate being an au pair*. That being said, I love living in Switzerland and the opportunities it affords me, but I really don't like the job. Sure, most people don't like their jobs, I get that. But most people, after their work day, don't get home and have their boss come through their room to get to the laundry room. Or have the first thing they see when they wake up on a Saturday morning be their employer. I think if I had been a "live-out" au pair I might be less loathing, but I didn't, so I'm not. And since this is my blog I'm allowed to complain. (Yes Kristen you work 1,087,574 times more than me, as do most other au pairs, I'm not negating that.) I am just not cut out for this. For instance, I'm quite a pushover**. I have a hard time standing up for myself because I like to avoid confrontation. I have been known, in trying to break up with a [not so] significant other, to say, "I really like you," instead of, "I would really prefer never to see you again." (And I was a Communications major?!) So I realize that a lot of this is my problem. The thing is, when I get taken advantage of, I really get taken advantage of. And being an au pair it happens to all of us, quite often. And even when I do try to offer a measly rebuttal like, "Well I already had plans for that Saturday," or, "Well my friends and I were planning a trip to Vienna," I hear, "Well I'm telling you two weeks in advance so that is enough time." (Enough time for me to change my plans, not vice-versa).

Yes I realize that I have it better than a lot of other au pairs. But those au pairs must be closer to canonization than me. This is also why I write more about the contents of my purse rather than what I did for work. I think being home has made me realize my self-worth more (if you ask my parents I think that worth would be quiet a sum after all that tuition money).

So, if you know anyone who is hiring for July, you know where to find me...

*Sorry for the complaining.
**See? It's my blog which is purely my opinion but I feel bad for complaining about living in Europe. I don't mean to sound like an ungrateful brat, but I'm afraid I do.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, never feel like you need to apologize for venting on your own blog. Ever! If you cannot do it here, where else?
    Second, it sounds like your non-confrontational approach is the main reason why being an au-pair is turning out to be a less-than-perfect fit for you. That, and maybe you and your employer are not a perfect fit. It might be a more pleasant experience with someone who doesn't feel disrespectful of your spaces and rhythms. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty of free speech is that you can do it freely my love. Our situations are different. I complain too...

    ReplyDelete