Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Most Public Display of Affection

(And no, you seven, it is not what you think)

Thursday, Anna, Anna's grandmother, Mark, Stephanie and I all drove the hour to Basel to go to the Vincent Van Gogh Exhibit there. Mark and I were walking around the exhibit together and he kept leaning up against me and putting my arms around his shoulders. I couldn't help but think of my aversion to public displays of affection, and how I thought this was okay because it was a child. Midway through the tour he looks up at me and says, "Jill, you're a really great au pair." It is nice to be reminded of that once and a while.

Saturday morning I went to get coffee (yes I've started drinking coffee, I think coffee is the only way I can justify drinking the 4.5% fat milk. And even worse the coffee is from Starbucks--don't tell D.B.) and as I was paying the man behind me in line said, "Are you from Minnesota?" He could clearly see my lisence and it turns out he is from Minnesota as well. So we sat outside and had our coffees together and talked about how we had both gotten to the same town in Zurich, definitely a good way to start the weekend. After that I got on a "fan bus" headed for Bern to watch my friend play in the Swiss Bowl (like the SuperBowl in Switzerland--but on a much smaller scale). His friends from home and parents were there as well as a few other fans so even though they lost the game we still had a great time!

Next week I'm headed back to Le Chaufaud without the parents but with 20 people that only speak French. I'm hoping for a drastic improvement in my French during that week--necessity is the mother of invention, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment