Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This is it. Tomorrow I leave for a year. I'm excited and nervous and all the emotions that come with starting a journey--but what I mostly am is annoyed.

You know those glamorous women you see in the airport with just a carry-on rolling bag and a purse? They look put together, calm, and ready for their upcoming flight. Well I will never be one of those girls for two reasons. 

The first is my complete inability to leave anything at home. I mean what if this one occasion arises and this one shirt would be perfect for it? I can't possibly leave it at home. I am an overpacker, I have been for as long as I can remember, and I doubt it will ever change. The next reason would be the stupid weight requirements for luggage. How can I fit a year's worth of clothes in two fifty pound bags? (and now they are starting to charge you for the second bag!) Clearly the people working at Delta do not have daughters who travel. (And before anyone chastises me for bringing so much, just think of all the clothes you wear in a year!) So since I cannot possibly fit all my clothes into 100 pounds of luggage I usually have to take the dreaded Vera Bradley. This Vera Bradley duffel bag (http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?dept=7&sku=341%3a30
looks great. It is cute and looks like a good idea, but as my friend M. & I learned when we studied abroad that these bags suck. They earned a name that's too crude to write (hey my parents might be reading this) because they are essentially a bottomless pit. The more clothes you stuff into the bag the more it holds and then when you try to pick it up suddenly you have a 40 pound carry-on. This cumbersome bag makes walking through airport a workout and you arrive at your gate sweating with a shoulder ache. 

So now I'm faced with the dilemma: Take less (and be underprepared!) to avoid the Vera Bradley duffel, or take everything and arrive in Z├╝rich with the obnoxious pink bag and sweat stains? When I was studying abroad my friend M. & I were coming home from London, and in an effort to save money we used two different airlines for our flights. The airline coming home however, had a strict one bag per person policy. Since we had two our backpacks and purses we had to rearrange our stuff to comply with the rule. This situation ended with us wearing layers of our clothes onto the plane in order to fit our purses into our backpacks. Let's hope I don't have to do that again...

No comments:

Post a Comment