Monday, June 15, 2009

The Beginning

I guess I should start at the beginning. 

It was late December 2008 and I was pretty much set on joining the Peace Corps and living in Sub-Saharan Africa for the next two years.  I was flipping through my mom's September 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine (now I'm not much of a cook, but ever since my friend Molly & I read Ruth Reichl's book Tender to the Bone, we became a fan of her and I of Gourmet magazine) and it was all about Paris. I came across this article written by Holly Brubach, how she just moved from America to Paris and lived in an apartment there. I could hardly contain my jealousy, but since I do not have the sort of funds to just move to Paris I put my hope of living in Europe on the back burner.

Then during early March we were leaving the bar (I went to a small liberal arts college in which there is only one bar in the tiny Ohio town) and I overheard a girl talking about how she was going to be an au pair. I was definitely taken with the idea (as was my mother who didn't quite relish the idea of her daughter living in Africa) and after a quick Google search (I'm not sure what the world would do without Google) I found this website, Greataupair.com, where nannies and families could find one another. A few weeks later my Peace Corps plans were on hold and I was going to Switzerland to be an au pair.

1 comment:

  1. You made your decision via female @ the bar? hmmm.

    ReplyDelete